Saturday, February 02, 2008

One little step

I am finally ABD (All But Dissertation). I have taken all written exams possible, completed all course work, and at this juncture just need to write my dissertation which will take approximately eighteen months if I consistently apply the seat of my pants to the seat of my chair and write every single day. My committee is unofficially setup and I have been working closely with at least two of them the last six months to come up with a well written dissertation proposal. I am very proud of myself that I have been focused in my pursuits and have single mindedly applied myself to the pursuit of my dreams. I am proud that I do not have to hide behind excuses or have to explain my lack of progress to anyone. I will not say that I did not have my doubts around the same time last year. However, tenaciousness has shown results beyond my expectations and I believe even strongly now that hard work always produces results. I intend to plough on, to be torn apart at every Graduate Student Paper Workshop, so that I have a chance to take my papers to the highest level necessary for publication. I have learned that papers do not write themselves overnight. You need to work and rework them several times before they are even passable. But it is only practice that makes perfect and I am glad to say I am getting there through a tatonement process as a true Hayekian and Misesian. In the process I am getting better at editing my papers as well, and I am very happy that becoming ABD has coincided with my writing improvements.

3 comments:

Brian Hollar said...

Congratulations, Triya!!!

Richard said...

Congratulations Triya on becoming ABD! (I've had that distinction for 22 years, in computer science.) But you will do better. Good luck in finishing in just a year or two.

Rich Hammer
Hillsborough, N.C.

Josh Hall said...

Congrats. It was good to meet you in San Antonio.