Monday, July 02, 2007

Indian Books

I just walked down the aisles of the library yesterday and today to find out what kinds of books they have. They have some really amazing international publications in addition to Indian ones. The Indian ones, especially the ones published by Oxford University Press are really cheap. You can get a good hardback for as little as $12. The lack of articles in popular journals about Indian economic reforms is more than adequately compensated by the number of books that have been written on the subject. The analysis runs mostly from the extreme left to somewhat left of centre. I have not found any central or even slightly right of centre arguments in the books I have perused till now. The biggest drawbacks of most of the literature however is that there are a lot of statements without any kind of substantiation. Arguments are made from legends and folklore and popular rhetoric which would hardly stand up to any serious academic scrutiny. There are no references in most of the books. It is disheartening, because there are some really interesting counter arguments to be made if any of their arguments are true, and to be able to do that I have to go find sources to authenticate both their statements so that I can prove that they are either right or wrong and move on with my analyses. It is somewhat frustrating, but then it has only been three days since I started work and hopefully by the end of summer I will at least have an interesting question, and a knowledge of where to look for the answer, if not the answers themselves.

No comments: