Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Entrepreneurial Discovery

Lacchu had an interesting point in this post about cyberspace. Although I do not agree with the idea that we need more government interference in cyberspace I am all for the idea of spontaneous development of new ideas and laws in cyberspace. For example the idea that email servers can have nomination services like bank accounts do is very appealing. In the case of the soldier Yahoo was right on two counts. Firstly, it is true that they delete accounts after 90 days of inactivity. I have had my personal accounts deleted the same way. Secondly, I am not sure I want my parents to read my emails in case I die suddenly. For the same reasons I am highly critical of letters of famous people published after their deaths. If they are published the publishers must secure permission while the persons were alive. I certainly do not want my letters published however (in)famous I become. They are my property and as a person who believes in protection of private property I am strongly against family and friends reading the dead person's emails and letters. That is why the idea of nomination appeals to me. I wonder why email server guys have not thought of this already! It would take just one other line in the sign up page!! The discovery has been made, but who is going to be alert to this opportunity and exploit it first? Yahoo!! Google!! anyone listening?

No comments: