Thursday, November 16, 2006

Milton Friedman (July 31, 1912 – November 16, 2006)


One of the greatest economists of the 20th century Milton Friedman passed away today. He was 94. Friedman was the reason I became so interested in economics and macro economics in particular. I wish I had had a chance to meet him or interact with him. His model of economics teaching is the model I wish to emulate. He was the foremost champion of free markets and brought about a huge and radical revolution in the field of economics. He was intellectually active even at his age and I found his interviews in Commanding Heights as fun to watch as his PBS series Free to Choose. I am sad at his passing, but celebrate his life which was ripe with his intellectual contributions. We shall miss this short man who could convince even the most fanatic communist to believing in free markets with his smiling face but strong arguments. His contributions to the field will live forever and he has his place in the Economics Hall of Fame.

No comments: