Tuesday, July 11, 2006

8000 miles away I am angry and distraught..

I just got the news about seven bomb blasts in Mumbai in the metro trains during rush hour last evening (IST). I have friends and family I am trying to get in touch with, some of them I have managed to speak to, others are not answering their phones. Why would someone want to do this? My heart goes out to Mumbaikars, one of the most resilient class of people I have ever met. It is one of the most entrepreneurial cities in India, despite heavy regulations there is a lot of order in the perceived chaos in the city. What leads to such lawlessness in a country boasting some of the brightest minds in the world? Why does the intelligent well educated middle class sit quiet and not question inefficiencies in the government? Why do we let idiots and bandits like Lallo Prasad Yadav and Phoolan Devi rule?
My heart goes out to the families of those that were killed and injured in today's blasts. All I can do from so far away is pray and hope Mumbaikars force the government to atleast offer them the basic security they deserve.

2 comments:

Brian said...

Triya,

I am so sorry to hear this news. I also just found out about it.

You, India, and especially the survivors and loved ones of the victims are in my thoughts and prayers.

I just posted a roundup of info related to the bombings on my blog.

Ali Hasanain said...

I was really sorry to hear the news too. How can people sink to such depths of inhumanity.

It's the same all over the place. I recently saw a video of a religious gathering in Pakistan that was bombed. It's sick and unfathomable.